Thursday 5 March 2015

School trip up a mountain





We did it. Climbing ruapane with my class was an amazing experience.  Watching them move through the different stages is always interesting and how they respond to the challenges. There is always the students who they no they can't do it but keep on going. They have this hidden spark that keeps their fires burning even when they think they just can't go on.  Today I watched as some of our fittest students opted out while others pushed through despite having rolled ankles. These moments always make me stop and take count of assumptions I may have made of people's characters.

Once we reached the peak we all sat down and had a moment to take in just how amazing our country is.  Sitting 800m above sea eating your lunch looking out over rolling hills is always something magical and watching young people experience this awe is just as refreshing.  I'm always glad that I can provide opportunities for students that they may never have had the opportunity to experience. 


Personally today was a great walk. My heels held up well and the legs were able to take the hike.  I was a little apprehensive about the walk, worried that my thighs might start to burn and make my run in the weekend harder than it needed to be. As it was the fitness held up and so did the legs. 

The next mission is the half marathon this weekend. 


No comments:

Post a Comment