Monday 10 September 2012

Geocaching Clusters

ClusterSo Hamilton has had a huge influx of Cluster caches. It started off just as a gentle game and has become something of an addiction.  It all started with Jane (Kiwis69) placing a very simple cluster puzzle that at first glance had you looking for the collective noun for a series of pictures.  On closer inspection the puzzle was even easier than that.

This was one of my first FTF in Hamilton as I raced out of school one day and collected it.  Turns out Richard (Zorgon) didn't pick up on the additional hint for a while and kept working on the puzzle. As a result he ended up getting the answers to correctly solve 'A Cluster' so 'A Cluster 2' was born.  To be honest I never really solved this one properly. I managed to work out a ruff idea as to what the answers might be and as to where the cache might be hidden. Ended up heading out late one night and sure enough after a bit of hunting around located GZ and signed the log. 2nd FTF.

Thinking that was the end of the Cluster caches I felt proud claiming a couple of FTF. Then it began. Kiwis69 posted 'A Cluster 3' saying that you can't have 2 caches and call them a cluster.  This is where it gets good. The to main ideas for solving the cache had now been exhausted and she had come up with a very creative puzzle.  While solving 'A Cluster 3' I used a technique that got me thinking id jump on the wagon and start placing some Cluster caches aswel.  With the puzzle solved quickly I was off to collect yet another FTF.

Thats it I thought to myself as I picked up this cache. Its time I placed a couple and started contributing to the series.  That day I went off and placed 'A Cluster 3'.  The same day my 'A Cluster 4' turned up. Again A quick solve and I was off to collect another FTF.  After collecting the cache I decided to place another and name it 'A Cluster 5'.  Shortly after starting to create 'A cluster 5', 'Clusters last stand' appeared. Surly not... Last... never.  A solve for and another FTF saw me really feeling good about these caches and the publishing of mine showed that the Cluster series was still live and kicking.  Then it happened some else placed 'quietly relieved its not another cluster' and I missed the FTF.  Another day passes and there was no new caches then Un-Clustered appeared. A clever puzzle that saw me back on the FTF wagon.

Last night two new Cluster caches appeared - Cluster 6 and Cluster bonus.  Grabbed Cluster 6 for yet another FTF and soon started collect the clues for Cluster bonus.  Missed two clues so will have to go back tomorrow and collect them (One of them was my caches... how bad is that that I forgot where it was).  Had my Cluster-bug cache published and now Cluster 7 is in the pipeline.

All in all its a lot of fun and people are starting to get annoyed with it.... Best we keep going.

Geocaching.com

1 comment:

  1. hi, so how do you solve em? i was concentrating on the image, but then saw every cache had same image, so was back at square one. tahts the hardest thing of puzzles. dunno where to start.

    ReplyDelete