Tuesday 5 March 2013

School camp

After 3 days at Narrows Christian Camp I find myself lying on the hard school stage absolutely exhausted and looking forward to getting home. Chelsea was running late this morning and wasn't able to leave the car for me.

The past 3 days have gone by very quickly. I was a little apprehensive at first thinking that some of the students would play up or not be interested in the different activities but I was wrong. Everyone pulled together and tried all the different activities. There were people eating foods for the first time, doing sports for the first time and sleeping away from home for the first time.

The first round of activities showed that the archery was very popular as was the go-carts and trolleys. I was surprise that the waterside wasn't up to standard.  There was lots for kids coming off the slide with cuts, bumps and bruises but they were having so much fun they didn't really mind.

Now the different meals were as camp meals should be. Large and filling. We had chicken drumsticks, nachos, brownie, raps, pancakes and all sorts of other delicious foods.  After watching some of the students eating at camp im pretty sure they will be going home weighing more.  There was one student... lets just call them 'Guts', who went up for seconds and then dessert.  Guts was always excited when it was meal time and they seemed to aways be eating. Whats annoying is Guts is the size of a bean pole, why can't I eat that much and be that skinny?

One of the best activities was the burmer trail. I always enjoy giving the kids a night experience that is scary and this was no different. As night approached and it started to get dark the students were sent to the hall.  One group at a time were sent down the long and dark driveway. Their experience began with me jumping out at them and showing them to the start of the trail.  With parent jumping out and strange noises there was definitely terror in the air. I'd love to say that all the student completed the trail but with our scare skills at full we had some pulling out before they even started. I always enjoy watching the big tough boys who say they aren't scared cower over who goes first.

Another highlight was the paddle down the Waikato river. I was lucky enough to go twice and am paying for it now. My shoulders are sore but it was so much fun I'd do it again. The kids worked really well together and enjoyed jumping off at the wharf.

All in all it was a great 3 days.










No comments:

Post a Comment